Circuit Integrity (Fire Resistant) Cables
Fountain Cable & Wire pioneered the use of circuit integrity cables as early as 1992. Since then, FCWC has continued to improve its circuit integrity cables and expand it's offerings to include more size and configurations.
Circuit integrity cables are meant to perform in the event of a fire or other similar emergency. These cables are installed for critical devices or circuits in order for a control room to be able to shut down a process or component to lessen the potential for further damage. An example of this would be turning on a valve to activate a fire supression system in the event of a fire. This family of cables is tested for fire resistance and electrical continuity under the harshest conditions; the actual test criteria will depend on the standard the cable must meet in order to be certified, and FCWC can help you will any requirements you may have.
The designs of circuit integrity cables utilize inorganic insulation materials that form a non-conductive char layer when exposed to fire. Our cables have met performance compliance under UL and IEC standards, and can be custom-built if other requirements or standards are needed.
- Tin-Coated or Nickel-Plated (27% Nicklel), annealed copper, in solid, 7-strand, or 19-strand configurations from 20 AWG to 10 AWG and equivalent metric sizes.
- Fire Resistant Silicone Alloy.
- Aluminum or copper tapes with a polyester backing for individual and overall shields, used with drain wires. Drain wires are placed in direct contact with the shield to facilitate grounding and easy termination
- Served Wire Armor (SWA), Galvanized Steel or Aluminum.
- Interlocked Armor, Galvanized Steel or Aluminum
- Gardex® Corrugated, Continuously-Welded Aluminum.
- TPN (LSZH).
- All cables are printed with required voltage and temperature rating, as well as applicable regulatory approvals.
- All cables have traceability and sequential length markings.
Packaging & Documentation
- Depending on the size of the cable, the products are delivered on wooden reels up to 96” in diameter.
- There is an option to lag wood reels using wooden planks that are secured to the outer edges of the reel to prevent damage to the cable while in transit. The wooden reels are heat-treated to comply with international phytosanitary requirements. Overseas shipments are crated. We also offer light-weight fiber board reels for air freight shipments.
- The ends of the cables, known as the “pig tails,” are exposed on the reels for any testing at the receiving location, but sealed for shipment.
- If requested FCWC can provide Certificates of Conformance at the time of shipment.
Approvals & Ratings
FCWC can offer a variety of ratings and standards for instrumentation products. Please discuss the specific rating and approvals with your customer service representative prior to placing your order. Depending on the cable design and selection of armor types, the following approvals are available:
- UL 13 (PLTC), UL 2250 (ITC), UL 1277 (TC), ICEA S-73-532, EN 50288-7.
Fire Resistance Standards
- IEC 60331, BS 6387.
- -20ºC to 90°C.
Hazardous Zone Classifications
- Class I, Division 2, and Class I, Zone 2, & 3 Ratings are Available.
Other Options & Standards
- Low Smoke Zero Halogen, per IEC 61034 and IEC 60754
- Conductors per ASTM B3, B33, B8, and IEC 60228, AS/NZS 1125
- REACH & RoHS Compliant.
- ER (Exposed Run) rating is available for many constructions. ER rated cables are designed and tested for impact and crush resistance per UL criteria. With the ER rating, cables are allowed to run outside of trays or conduit for an unlimited distance, provided the cable is supported every 6 feet or less.
Gardex® is a registered trademark of Fountain Specialty Cable
FCWCbon® is a registered trademark of Fountain Cable & Wire