Fountain Cable & Wire control cables are used in process control applications to carry information to and from various points within the system to change process parameters, hence the name "control" cables. Control cables are typically made of 16 AWG and larger conductors, and we have found sizes 12 AWG and 10 AWG to be the most popular. In most applications, control cables are used in multi-conductor cable configurations.
- Bare, Tin-Coated, or Nickel-Plated, annealed copper, in solid, 7-strand, or 19-strand configurations from 18 AWG to 8 AWG and equivalent metric sizes.
- PVC, PVC/Nylon or XLPE.
- Optional aluminum or copper tapes with a polyester backing for individual and overall shields, used with drain wires. Drain wires are placed in direct contact with the shield to facilitate grounding and easy termination
- Served Wire Armor (SWA), Galvanized Steel or Aluminum.
- Interlocked Armor, Galvanized Steel or Aluminum
- Gardex® Corrugated, Continuously-Welded Aluminum.
- FCWCbon® Chemical & Moisture Barrier
- Stainless Steel Braid
- PVC, HDPE, CPE, or TPN (LSZH).
- All cables are printed with required voltage and temperature rating, as well as applicable regulatory approvals.
- All cables have traceability and sequential length markings.
Packaging & Documentation
- Depending on the size of the cable, the products are delivered on wooden reels up to 96” in diameter.
- There is an option to lag wood reels using wooden planks that are secured to the outer edges of the reel to prevent damage to the cable while in transit. The wooden reels are heat-treated to comply with international phytosanitary requirements. Overseas shipments are crated. We also offer light-weight fiber board reels for air freight shipments.
- The ends of the cables, known as the “pig tails,” are exposed on the reels for any testing at the receiving location, but sealed for shipment.
- If requested FCWC can provide Certificates of Conformance at the time of shipment.
Approvals & Ratings
FCWC can offer a variety of ratings and standards for instrumentation products. Please discuss the specific rating and approvals with your customer service representative prior to placing your order. Depending on the cable design and selection of armor types, the following approvals are available:
- UL 1277 (TC & TC-ER), UL 1569 (MC), UL 2225 (MC-HL), ICEA S-73-532, IEC 60502, AS/NZS 5000, BS 6346 & 5467, CSA TECK 90.
Flame Retardancy Standards
- IEEE 1202, UL 1685, VW-1, FT4, IEC 60332
- -50ºC to 90°C.
Hazardous Zone Classifications
- Class I, Division 1 & 2, and Class I, Zone 1, 2, & 3 Ratings are Available.
Other Options & Standards
- Low Smoke Zero Halogen, per IEC 61034 and IEC 60754
- Conductors per ASTM B3, B33, B8, and IEC 60228, AS/NZS 1125
- REACH & RoHS Compliant.
- ER (Exposed Run) rating is available for many constructions. ER rated cables are designed and tested for impact and crush resistance per UL criteria. With the ER rating, cables are allowed to run outside of trays or conduit for an unlimited distance, provided the cable is supported every 6 feet or less.
Gardex® is a registered trademark of Fountain Specialty Cable
FCWCbon® is a registered trademark of Fountain Cable & Wire